Dr. Ma Jun, Chairman and President, HKGFA spoke at the panel of “Asia in a Changing Economy – The Future of Finance and the Challenge of Inequality” at the AsiaGlobal Dialogue 2022 on 18th November 2022, alongside Mrs. Laura Cha, Chairman, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd, Mr. Samuel Palmisano, Chairman, The Center for Global Enterprise, Mr. Eddie Yue, Chief Executive, Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Mr. Victor K Fung, Chairman, Asia Global Institute (moderator).
During the session, Dr. Ma stressed that there is a lack of transition financing to facilitate carbon intensive companies to transition to carbon neutrality. He also referenced on the recently launched 2022 G20 Sustainable Finance Report, highlighting the pillars of the G20 Transition Finance Framework:
1. Identification of transitional activities and investments
2. Reporting of information on transition activities and investments
3. Transition-related finance instruments
4. Designing policy measures
5. Assessing and mitigating negative social and economic impacts
Dr. Ma also shared how SMEs can take advantage of the framework, to help assess capital market and getting funding. He shared that digital technology should be increasingly applied to the finance industry to facilitate the transition finance process.