The Virtual Roundtable on Effective Carbon Emissions Trading and Markets-Pricing Mechanisms in the Asia-Pacific Region jointly organized by APAC Business Advisory Council (ABAC) and the Sustainable Finance Development Network (SFDN) will be on 13th July 2022 (Wed), 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (HKT) on Zoom. Our Vice President and Special Advisor to Chairman, Founder of Ben McQuhae & Co, Mr. Ben McQuhae will moderate Session 1 Carbon Market in the Era of Paris from 9:10 pm to 10:00 pm (HKT).
APEC economies use a variety of tools to manage emissions and most economies in the region have committed themselves to the goals of the Paris Agreement, with some setting targets to achieve carbon neutrality. This roundtable will deliberate the various strategies in place to manage carbon emissions with the overall goal of supporting the development of effective carbon emissions trading or markets-pricing mechanisms. The outcomes of the roundtable will be incorporated in ABAC’s 2022 Report to APEC Finance Ministers, together with the recommendations that can emerge from the discussions.
- APAC Business Advisory Council
- Sustainable Finance Development Network
Highlight of the event related to HKGFA
SESSION 1 CARBON MARKETS IN THE ERA OF PARIS
The road to net zero is pinnacle in mitigating climate change. Carbon markets enables countries and businesses to internalize and incentivize climate action in the short to medium term outlook. The advent of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement further provides countries an opportunity to collaborate and cooperate via an international compliance carbon markets. This session will dive into the details of carbon markets post Glasgow and the state of market forces in APEC. How important are standards and interoperability in affecting market demand? What are the contemporary challenges and opportunities in setting up voluntary carbon markets?
- Ben McQuhae – Founder of Ben McQuhae & Co – Lawyers for Tomorrow; Vice President and Special Advisor to Chairman of Hong Kong Green Finance Association
- Glenda So – Managing Director, Co-Head of Markets, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
- Jens Radschinski – Regional Lead at UNFCCC/IGES – Regional Collaboration Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RCC Bangkok) (UNFCCC) (TBC)
- David Antonioli – Chief Executive Officer, VERRA
- Genevieve Soh – Head of Platforms and Ecosystems, Climate Impact X