HKGFA kickstarted the HKGFA Biodiversity Training Series on 11 January 2024 under the cross-collaboration of the TNFD/ Biodiversity Workstream and the Net Zero Commitments Workstream with the first webinar on Global & APAC State of Biodiversity and Momentum. Very pleased to see around 200 virtual attendees participated in the webinar!
Sincere thanks to our speakers, Mr. Gratien Davasse, Green & sustainable finance expert, Associate, Natixis CIB, Green Sustainable Hub, Centre of Expertise and Innovation; Ms. Joanne Lee, Responsible Investment Specialist, First Sentier Investors; Mr. Patrick Ho, Deputy Head, Sustainable Development, Swire Properties Limited; TNFD/ Biodiversity Workstream Co-leader, HKGFA for their sharing on navigating biodiversity in their respective sector.
- Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosure (TNFD) designed a set of guidelines for reporting on Nature-related Risk and Opportunity Management and Disclosure, publishing the Recommendations of the Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures published in September 2023. In APAC, many countries such as Mainland China, Australia, Singapore, etc. have been setting new targets and commitments on nature restoration and conversation, integrating nature-related considerations into their taxonomies.
- The built environment is a significant cause of nature loss but also is highly dependent on natural resources. A key recommendation from Patrick on nature and biodiversity integration is to start with assessing the risk and opportunities to help companies determine their material dependency and impact on nature, leveraging data tools to understand their priority locations in localised contexts.
- From an investor angle, Joanne suggested companies and investors begin with mapping out the due diligence framework on identifying investor exposure to material sectors and collecting nature-related data to further assess impactful nature-related issues with specific portfolio companies, before moving to the engagement steps.
Recording and Supporting Materials Available
- Presentation on biodiversity concepts and development in global perspective by Natixis CIB: https://www.hkgreenfinance.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/HKGFA-Session-1-Presentation_-Global-APAC-state-of-biodiversity-and-international-momentum_11-Jan.pdf
- Video Replay of the session: https://youtube.com/live/KsLHrKD975g?feature=share
- First Sentier Investors “Investors Can Assess Nature Now” Guide: https://www.firstsentierinvestors.com.au/content/dam/web/global/responsible-investment/documentation/global-documents/fsi-nature-and-biodiversity-toolkit.pdf
- Ms. Jenny Lee, Deputy Secretary General, Hong Kong Green Finance Association
Presenter & Moderator
- Mr. Gratien Davasse, Green & sustainable finance expert, Associate, Natixis CIB, Green Sustainable Hub, Centre of Expertise and Innovation
- Ms. Joanne Lee, Responsible Investment Specialist, First Sentier Investors
- Mr. Patrick Ho, Deputy Head, Sustainable Development, Swire Properties Limited; Taskforce Member of TNFD; TNFD/ Biodiversity Workstream Co-chair, HKGFA