Ms. Tracy Wong Harris, Executive Vice President of Hong Kong Green Finance Association (HKGFA) spoke at the SCMP Hong Kong – Asean Summit in the panel “Asean Going Green” on 9 October. A few highlights of the panel and Tracy’s sharing:
- The panel highlights the importance and great potential of the ASEAN market as most of the ASEAN members have committed to Net Zero targets, creating a vibrant environment and huge demand for transition activities.
- All market players have a role to play in decarbonizing the respective industries, transitioning, and achieving the Net Zero target, including retail and SMEs.
- Sector-wise, the Asean market energy-related transition can focus on the high-emitting sectors including power, transportation, building, and manufacturing. From funding the early retirement of coal fire plants to moving to green and electric vehicles, a high-integrity, high-quality voluntary carbon market could be one of the essential tools to efficiently channel capital from emitter to where the innovation is required.
Read more about a recent report on decarbonization pathways and relevant recommendations: https://wri.org.cn/en/research/Decarbonization-pathways-GBA
Panellists of the SCMP Event:
- Hendrik Rosenthal, Director – Group Sustainability, CLP Holdings Limited
- Tracy Wong Harris, Executive Vice President, Hong Kong Green Finance Association
- Jessica Chan, Head of Sustainability, MTR Corporation Limited
- Ivy Au-Yeung, Chief Executive, OCBC Hong Kong
- Olga Wong, Deputy Hong Kong Editor, South China Morning Post